Verb to be in Spanish
On a previous post I explained to you the verb to be in Spanish, the one which is called Ser. I told you on that explanation that there were two different verbs in Spanish to define the verb to be in English, one is Ser and the other one is Estar. Today I would like to focus on the verb Estar, on its conjugation, not on the difference between both of them, which I will deal with in future posts.
Having said that, let’s move onto the conjugation of the verb Estar:
If you think you still need a further explanation on subject pronouns, here it is: Spanish subject pronouns
Like the verb Ser, the verb Estar is irregular, one whose form must be studied by heart as there is not a pattern to be able to apply to all persons as there are for other verbs, the so-called Regular Verbs.
Note that Estar needs an accent mark on some of its forms, that is, está, estáis and están. This accent mark shows the stressed syllable of these words.
Once the conjugation has been presented, we will deal with its pronunciation by means of the following audio, where you’ll have the opportunity to listen and repeat so that you can become fluent when saying the Verb to be in Spanish.
Here are some sentences which include the verb Estar in different persons:
- ¿Dónde estás? = Where are you?
- Estoy cansado = I am tired.
- Está en el trabajo = he/she is at work.
- Estamos en casa = we are at home.
- ¿Están ellos en casa? = are they at home?
- ¿Cómo está usted? = how are you, Sir? = note here we use the person “usted” to sound polite and keep the distance. In English we can use Sir to show that distance and politeness.
- ¿Dónde está mi coche? = where is my car?
- Ella está enferma = she is sick.
Over to you now! Listen to the previous sentences and repeat!
Finally, here’s an exercise for you to practise the conjugation of the verb to be in Spanish, that is, Estar.
- ¿ _____________________ en el bar? (vosotros)
- ¿Por qué _____________________ tan contenta? (tú)
- Mi jefe _____________________ en Brasil.
- ¿Dónde _____________________ María?
- ¿ _____________________ usted casado? (Usted)
- _____________________soltera (yo)
- ¿Cómo _____________________ ustedes?
- La estación _____________________ en el centro de la ciudad.
- ¿ ____Estáis___________ en el bar? (vosotros)
- ¿Por qué ___estás___________ tan contenta? (tú)
- Mi jefe _____está__________ en Brasil.
- ¿Dónde ________está________ María?
- ¿ ___Está____________ usted casado? (Usted)
- ____Estoy___________soltera (yo)
- ¿Cómo ______están_________ ustedes?
- La estación ____está_________ en el centro de la ciudad.
If you want to read the explanation on the verb Ser, here it is: To be in Spanish
And that’s all today. If you think this post could be of interest for your mates, please share it on social media.
Keep in touch! 🙂